Tuesday 18 October 2016

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us

This blog post is a little different from the ones I usually write but, I wanted to talk about something positive which is unfortunately quite difficult when talking about chronic illness. Sometimes all you need is some fresh air, a change of scenery and some good laughs to make you feel better, even if only for a week :)


On Saturday 24th September, I went away for a much needed holiday to the Isle of Wight with my family and boyfriend. I have loved family caravan holidays since I was little and was excited about exploring a new place away from London. What makes the Island different from London is that you can take everything at your own pace which comes hand in hand with the relaxed and homely vibe that it has to offer. I never felt like I was falling behind others. Living in the hustle and bustle of London can often make me feel like I am missing out as I can't always enjoy the lifestyle that it has to offer. I just don't have the energy for it.






Saturday 24th - Our adventure awaits

We set off for Portsmouth early Saturday morning as our ferry was leaving at 1. As we got stuck in traffic due to an accident, we missed our ferry by a few minutes. Luckily, we were able to get on the next ferry leaving at 2. Nodes point, which was the caravan park we were staying in, was only a short drive away from the port so we finally arrived at about 4. We spent the evening in the clubhouse having dinner and then went to pick my boyfriend up as he had travelled at a later time.





Sunday 25th – Sandown Shanklin 

On our first full day, we had planned to go to a car boot sale near by but, as the weather was not on our side that morning, it had been cancelled. Instead we decided to explore Sandown which was a little town sheltered in a beautiful bay on the Southern coast. It is famed for its long stretch of beach and its traditional British seafront and Pier. We went for a stroll along the beach before heading to Shanklin to play some crazy golf. We ended the day in a charming 16th century hotel called The Bugle Inn, situated back in Sandown to have some dinner. From the moment we stepped in it was like stepping back in time.









Mondays 26th – The needle Chairlift x


We went to visit the iconic, world famous chairlift that takes you to see the needle rocks and coloured sands. The views were stunning as it was a display of nature at its best.











Tuesday 27th – Godshill Village

Godshill was a delightful, picturesque English village filled with traditional tea rooms and a wide range of shops offering local produce and crafts that lined the winding main street.

We sat in one of the little tea rooms that led on from a beautiful garden to have some tea and cake.











Wednesday 28th – Monkey Haven x


What a gem this place was. We got to learn so much about the animals that had been saved so you really got a sense of their story. The talks were so enjoyable to listen to and the keepers seemed to have such a great relationship with all of the animals. I finally got the opportunity to hold a snake which is something I have always wanted to do and it was worth the wait.








Thursday 29th – Pat x

My Dads old work friend moved over to the Isle of Wight a few years ago and we felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to meet with him and his wife to go for lunch and catch up. Since I met Pat, I have always seen him as a Grandad. He is such a warm and caring character who makes you feel at ease. We met at the Fleming inn which was only a short drive from where we were staying. It was a lovely little pub with a cosy family feel to it which was perfect for the occasion.
We then went for a walk along the beach as the sun was going down.









Friday 30th – Horse Riding x

On Friday morning my mum, boyfriend and I got the opportunity to go horse riding along the beach. The experience was wonderful. The weather brightened up as we set off and the views were beautiful. Although this did wipe me out for the remainder of the day, it was worth it. On our last night we went for dinner at the Crab and Lobster Inn as my mum had wanted sea food all week. It was a pleasant way to end our holiday.






Saturday 1st October - Heading Home

 The heavens had well and truly opened on the day that we were leaving. As out ferry was not leaving until 4, we took this opportunity to go and visit the Shanklin Olde village which was full of little gift shops and tea rooms. We travelled up the side of the cliff in a lift that would take us up to the old town. After out little jaunt around the village, we headed to the port to catch our ferry back.









Going away for a week I feel has done me the world of good and what better way to spend it than with some of my favourite people. After the stress that has accompanied me through out the majority of the year, a holiday could not have come at a better time. I wanted to make sure that I made the most out of my time away which meant that I probably pushed myself a little too far but, I have been able to rest since coming home and overall feel like I have accomplished something.  


No comments:

Post a Comment